How to Apply On-line
Students interested in attending iTECH Academy at Miami Springs Senior High School must apply online at Miami-Dade County Public Schools’ School Choice and Parental Options Web site during M-DCPS’ Magnet Schools official enrollment period. Once a completed application is submitted, eligibility is determined using the eligibility criteria found below. Additional information on the application process can be found at the School Choice & Parental Options Web site.
Accepting a Magnet Seat
Once a child is accepted through the school choice process, parents will receive notification from the District stating acceptance status for all of the schools to which they applied. The District notification letter instructs parents to accept or decline by logging into the application system and visiting the school they wish to accept.
Acceptance occurs in two ways:
- Parents log into the system to accept the seat
- Parents visit the school with a printed, filled, and signed Declaration of Acceptance form, state that they wish to accept the seat and the school enters the student into the system. Once at the school parents can resume the registration process through the school’s registrar (Ms. Fonte at Miami Springs SHS) and subject selection process with the appropriate school counselor (Ms. Mills at Miami Springs SHS).
NOTE: Acceptance of a seat online will automatically decline any of the other schools to which the student was accepted; therefore, it is mandatory that schools have a signed Declaration of Acceptance before processing it for a parent online.
All students registering for a magnet program MUST have a signed Declaration of Acceptance by a parent/guardian. Once signed and at the school of choice, the registration process will continue to be handled by the school.
Please contact Miami Springs SHS 305-885-3585 before arriving to register, to assure that our registrar will be available upon your arrival and that you have everything you need in order. We want your registration process to be smooth and your experience pleasant at Miami Springs SHS.
Students interested in attending iTECH Academy at Miami Springs Senior High School can apply in person with our Registrar at Miami Springs Senior High School, in our main office. Please note the iTECH Academy, Miami Springs Senior High School Eligibility Criteria below.
iTECH Academy, Miami Springs Senior High School Eligibility Criteria
- A minimum of 2.0 GPA in core academic subject areas (e.g. language arts, mathematics, science, social studies) and in conduct
- All effort grades in core academic classes must be “2” or higher
- No more than 10 unexcused absences will be allowed for previous year
- Recommendations may be required
Through a third-party computer system, the random selection process is generated based on the programs’ specific eligibility criteria, sibling pairings and other school and district specific selection criteria. The system generates waiting lists for each program.
iTECH Academy, Miami Springs Senior High School Magnet Contract
- iTECH students agree to maintain a minimum of 2.0 GPA in core academic subject areas (e.g. language arts, mathematics, science, social studies) and in conduct
- iTECH students agree that all effort grades in core academic classes must be “2” or higher
- iTECH students must take a minimum of four iTECH classes to graduate as an iTECH Academy completer
- iTECH students must earn a minimum of three Industry Certification Exams beginning their first year and agree to the demanding rules concerning the process of acquiring an ICE: Learn, Practice, Certify in a timely manor
- iTECH students must produce a minimum of one competitive video game and/or robot beginning their second year
- iTECH students must maintain an external back-up drive to preserve work in progress and completed products for their portfolio. In addition, students need to back-up completed products on their home computers. iTECH Academy is not responsible for damaged or lost products
- iTECH students must agree to M-DCPS Acceptable Use Policy found at http://www.dadeschools.net/technology/Acceptable_Use_Policy.htm
- iTECH students must not accumulate more than 10 unexcused absences per year
- iTECH parents must use the Parent Portal to monitor their child’s progress via the Electronic Grade-book at http://www.dadeschools.net/parents.asp
- iTECH parents must sign the iTECH Magnet Declaration of Acceptance each school year. By signing, students must maintain standards set forth in the iTECH Academy, Miami Springs Senior High School Magnet Contract.
Accepted Students via School Choice and Parental Options
Eligible students that accept a seat online using M-DCPS School Choice and Parental Options will be notified electronically after the deadline to confirm a seat and to follow our program’s instructions regarding the enrollment process.
Instructions regarding our enrollment process and the appropriate documentation.
The documentation includes a Declaration of Acceptance, Subject Selection Forms, and for those that need to physically register at iTECH Academy, Miami Springs Senior High School, a Registration Packet. Ahead of that notification, it is important for you to know the following:
If you are presently enrolled at and attending a Miami-Dade County Public School and Miami Springs Senior High School is your neighborhood school, you do not need to physically register at Miami Springs Senior High School with our Registrar.
If you are presently enrolled at and attending a Miami-Dade County Public School and Miami Springs Senior High School is not your neighborhood school, you will need to physically register at Miami Springs Senior High School with our Registrar at your earliest convenience.
If you are currently attending a private school or a charter school and are not enrolled with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, you will need to physically register at Miami Springs Senior High School with our Registrar at your earliest convenience.
For more information and/or to have the Instructions and Requirements for our Magnet School Registration with links to our Registartion Packet and Subject Selection Forms emailed to you, please contact iTECH Director, Rene Barge, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anti-Discrimination/Harassment (Students) – School Board Policies 1362, 3362, 4362, and 5517
Prohibit harassment and/or discrimination against students, employees, or applicants on the basis of sex, race, color, ethnic or national origin, religion, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, gender identification, social and family background, linguistic preference, pregnancy, citizenship status, and any other legally prohibited basis. Retaliation for engaging in a protected activity is also prohibited.
Questions, complaints, or requests for additional information regarding discrimination or harassment may be sent to: Executive Director, Civil Rights Compliance Office, 155 NE 15 Street, Suite P-104E, Miami, Florida 33132; PH: 305-995-1580 or e-mail address: email@example.com.
Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act of 2002 – no public school shall deny equal access to, or a fair opportunity for groups to meet on school premises or in school facilities before or after school hours or discriminate against any group officially affiliated with Boy Scouts of America or any other youth or community group listed in Title 36 (as a patriotic society).